Perfectionism is more than striving to make things perfect.
It can look like
- A desire to have it altogether 100%
- A drive to be in control
- A fear of making a mistake
- A thought that everything depends on you
- A striving to embellish your story
- A feeling of not good enough, not there (yet), not ready (ever).
Just like fear has a number of faces that we fail to recognize, so does perfectionism. To recognize perfectionism, I believe we have to take note of how it makes us feel.
If a situation makes us anxious, stressed, overwhelmed, burdened, scared, paralyzed, unrealistic, demanding, we need to pause and ask ourselves why. Deep within we will find that desire to polish up our lives, to keep them “in line,” which is frustrating because lives are messy and beyond our control.
This is a series of 100-word previews for my new book that comes out on October 23, 2018. Learn more here: www.bitly.com/fitfbook